Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Park Discovery

Yesterday was a day of discoveries in the Park!  I'm always amazed by what we can find and learn when we use all of our senses, and today we hit the jackpot.  While working on a trail in the Park, one of us heard a distinct sound.  Despite everything I did, stand in different spots, close my eyes, anything, I could not hear it.  But the sound was clear as day to my coworker.  A low hum.  A buzz.  Incessant and loud.  So we looked up and saw what looked like a million fuzzies swirling through the air.  NOT fuzzies.  But these...


a LOT of honeybees!

Due to the focus on the honeybee population and its recent decline, called Colony Collapse Disorder or CCD, I was excited to see a healthy population going about its business.  National Geographic posted an article this past May describing the current state of bees and how their benefits are largely unknown to the larger human population.  Not only do honeybees produce honey, they pollinate plants.  In essence, while they are collecting pollen for the hive, they move from flower to flower.  As they move, the pollen moves with them.  This pollination is imperative to the health and growth of so many of our agricultural staples in this region - apple trees, peach trees, pear trees, cherry trees, the list goes on.  Without bees, we lose out on honey and fresh crops.  This change affects what is available to eat, and also our region's and neighbor's income.  

I was happy to see this healthy hive!

Then, upon return to the never-ending bark chip pile, I discovered these - 


Guesses?

I've narrowed it down to Black Rat Snake eggs, Northern Racer Snake eggs, and Northern Brown Snake eggs.  I'm leaning toward Black Rat Snake, but I won't know until they hatch.  I gently replaced them in the mulch pile, which the mother had so carefully laid them.  I initially thought Garter Snake, very common in this area.  News to me - Garter Snakes give birth to live young.  As do Red-Bellied Snakes, another species I've seen in our Park.  So the field is narrowed to the three species mentioned above.  

Check out the fact sheet above, and the PA Snake fact sheet offered by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.  Let me know your guesses and thoughts.  Until they hatch (and I'm watching!), I won't have a definite answer.  I will tell you these clues:

  1. The photo shows them next to a pencil tip.  They measure 3/4 inches long and there were eight total.
  2. They are malleable/flexible.  They would not break like a chicken egg if dropped.
  3. The shell feels leathery and soft.
Thoughts?





No comments:

Post a Comment